On 18th April 2020, Toastmasters in Nepal made the best use of lockdown by converting the free time at home into learning sessions by organizing a workshop on ‘Crafting and delivering a captivating speech by Aditya Maheswaran, DTM. The workshop was moderated by Suman Shakya, DTM.
A three-time representative at the Toastmasters World Championship of Public Speaking, Aditya was 1st Runner Up in the 2015 championship and a Finalist in the 2017 competition. He is a 2-time TEDx speaker and a Distinguished Toastmaster.
246 members attended the workshop representing 30 clubs from all over Nepal. These participants represented various community clubs, companies, professional associations, and educational institutions.
Aditya captivated everyone as he gave an inspiring and informative workshop. A few highlights from the ideas he shared were:
- As we start to write a speech, one of the keys is to understand what are we doing and why are we doing it.
- Preparation should be pressure so that the presentation is a pleasure.
- When you know who you are as a person combined with your audience, you will express your speech perfectly.
- You become a better speaker by being a better person.
- The more you spend your time in the fundamentals of speech, the better it is.
- Always ask: “What value am I creating”
Sushma Shrestha, Division PR
Published in Inkspire Issue 3. Click here for the full newsletter.